Thursday, May 6, 2010

Appointment Update

I met with the oncological geneticist today. She's the same one that did my BRAC testing two years ago. We talked at length about the recommendations of the two OB/GYNs I saw, and my risk for cancer.

Essentially, the geneticist said that my risk for cancer is only slightly higher than the risk for the general population. But, when I started describing to her the way I felt about possibly getting cancer, she immediately saw red flags. We discussed my anxiety about the situation and she explained that, while I had been diagnosed with GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) it was quite likely that I actually suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
After I sobbed hysterically while repeating "I just can't do that to him" over and over again for about half an hour, she told me that we would do whatever we could to get rid of this elevated risk. I went for my first mammogram and am going to see a surgeon later in the month.

I'll write more concerning this topic later. For now, I've just dropped my baby off for his first night out of my sight since we left the hospital, and I am going a little crazy. I think I need a hot bath and a cold drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment