Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Reason to Fight

This is Jack. He is my beautiful, wonderful, unexpected 8 week old reason for fighting.

When I originally found out about my high risk status, I was told that I shouldn't make any major preventive moves until I'd had children. Of course, I was 18 at the time, and knew that I wouldn't plan on having children until many years into the future. I didn't think about the fact that my plan might not match up with reality.

Bun and I found out about our surprise pregnancy (NuvaRing fail) on August 8th, 2009. I was already most of the way through the first trimester, and we had just moved from our hometown to San Marcos, Tx, in order to live with my best friend and allow me to attend graduate school. Needless to say, we were shocked. But even more than that, we were scared. There was so much about parenting and raising a child that we didn't, and still don't, know.

As we've gone through this process together, from the day I got my big fat positive test to the day I was wheeled into the OR to have both my gallbladder and my son removed at 37 weeks pregnant, we've become so much closer. We're a family. No, we're not married, but Jack cements our bond in a way that a piece of paper never could. We always want to do what is best for him.

Which is why, before I turn 24, I plan to have a preventive double mastectomy and oopherectomy. It's scary, and shocking, but it's what is best.

...I just wish I could stop thinking about "What if?".

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I am a follower now (cue creepy music here, haha). I'm looking forward to reading about your journey!

    Come follow me, if you'd like. =]
    http://thechroniclesofahousewife.blogspot.com/

    Please don't get too offended by my post from yesterday. Just a crazy rant after watching a great movie! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just followed you and i hope you follow me too :)
    jeeanfoxy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lolz, "to have my gallbladder and my son removed."

    I love you Annie.

    ReplyDelete